McDonald’s increases wages – but only for certain workers :: WRAL.com

0


– McDonald’s is the latest restaurant to announce that it is raising wages in an attempt to attract workers. The company is increasing employees’ hourly wages by about 10%, she said Thursday, but the change only applies to a small percentage of staff.

Entry-level employees will earn at least $ 11 to $ 17 an hour, the company said in a statement. Shift supervisors will earn at least $ 15 to $ 20 an hour. The company has already started implementing the increases and will continue to roll them out in the coming months. Hourly wages are expected to average $ 15 in restaurants by 2024, the company said.

The increase will impact approximately 36,500 employees who work at McDonald’s-owned restaurants, which represent only 5% of its stores in the United States. The remaining 95% of U.S. McDonald’s restaurants are owned and operated by franchisees, who can make their own decisions about wages.

And that move falls short of the $ 15 minimum wage backed by President Joe Biden, many Congressional Democrats, and labor activists.

As restaurants reopen their dining halls, they are stepping up their recruiting efforts. McDonald’s wants to hire around 10,000 employees at its company-owned restaurants this summer, the company said.

It might be difficult.

Restaurants across the area indicated that staffing was a serious challenge. Some restaurateurs say job postings that would have attracted potential hires en masse in the past are not attracting applicants.

In an effort to attract desperately needed staff to an industry in which people are grossly underpaid, some independent chains and restaurants are raising wages.

Chipotle, for example, said this week that it was increasing workers’ wages to an average of $ 15 an hour and that some employees would become eligible for six-figure wages after just a few years of work. The fast casual chain wants to hire 20,000 employees before the summer and is also setting up a referral bonus of $ 200 for employees. Darden Restaurants, owner of Olive Garden and others, announced their own pay rise in March.

– CNN’s Jordan Valinsky contributed to this report.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.