RNLI views website DOWN as ‘precaution’ after ‘suspicious activity’ following rescue of 100 migrants


The RNLI shut down its website as a precaution after the charity said it was the victim of “suspicious activity” and staff received threatening emails.

Anyone visiting the charity’s website is directed to a landing page indicating that the service is “currently unavailable”.

The move came as 100 migrants, including babies and young children, were pulled from the rough Channel seas last night and into the early hours of this morning.

An RNLI spokesperson said on Friday: “The RNLI website was the subject of suspicious activity today.

“As a precaution, the RNLI made the decision to shut down its website while investigating the activity.

“We are sorry for the inconvenience caused and are working to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.”

The RNLI said it reported the “threat emails” it received to police.

Anyone visiting the RNLI website is currently directed to a landing page that says, “Our website is currently unavailable” (pictured)

Dozens of migrants were rescued from the English Channel amid rough seas and brought to Britain overnight

“The RNLI took the opportunity to remind its staff and volunteers to remain vigilant for the safety of themselves, their colleagues and the systems of the RNLI,” added the spokesperson.

“We are focused on our primary goal of saving lives at sea and our 24/7 rescue service remains fully operational. “

It comes after far-right organization Britain First encouraged its members to complain to the charity over its rescues of people crossing the Channel.

However, the RNLI’s decision to take down its website does not appear to be related to the email campaign.

The group said online: “Britain First has launched a campaign of complaints against the RNLI to pressure it to drop its support for illegal immigration and human trafficking and instead focus on saving British lives along our coastal areas “.

A link shared with his Telegram channel claims to allow users to send one of three pre-written messages to RNLI chief executive Mark Dowie.

The group says more than 3,000 emails have been sent so far.

The website’s deletion came as dozens of migrants were rescued from the English channel last night after emergency services rushed to respond to calls for help in dangerous conditions.

Around 100 people, including babies and young children, were reportedly pulled from just four floating dinghies found floating in the busy seaway.

Photos show a lifeboat arriving at the port of Dover with rescuers helping the woman and children to land.

Dozens of migrants were found in difficult conditions after leaving under cover of darkness from the French coast

Several small children were seen among those rescued this morning by an RNLI lifeboat

The large number of arrivals comes despite the death of 27 people, including a pregnant woman, in the English Channel last week after their small boat took on water.

The migrants’ canoes would have entered the water in the French commune of Gravelines, just south of Dunkirk, in the early hours of this morning.

Reports suggest that a coastguard plane was called from Doncaster after being alerted to “torch flashes” from boats in the English Channel around 2 a.m.

An RNLI ship reportedly found around 100 migrants on different ships in rough waters. They were taken aboard the lifeboat and brought to Dover.

Photos show a lifeboat and border forces vessel at the port of Dover helping them disembark to be screened at the arrival gates

The migrants’ canoes are said to have entered the water in the French commune of Gravelines, just south of Dunkirk, in the early hours of this morning

Bad weather conditions this morning hampered operations, mainly due to fog and a two-meter vortex

Bad weather conditions this morning hampered operations, mainly due to fog and a two-meter vortex.

It comes after 27 people, including seven women, including one pregnant, and three children, were killed when their boat capsized in the English Channel on Wednesday.

At least 14 other people have died trying to make the trip this year.

The only two survivors – an Iraqi and a Somali – told police their poorly made canoe was struck by a container ship, puncturing its thin rubber hull.

Five people have been arrested in France over the 27 deaths, including a man held overnight at the wheel of a German-registered vehicle filled with inflatable ribs, although there is “no provable connection” to the sinking , according to prosecutors, despite French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin insisting that all were “directly linked” to the drownings.

Reports suggest that a coastguard plane was called from Doncaster after being alerted to “flashes of torches” from boats in the English Channel around 2 a.m.

It comes after 27 people, including seven women, including one pregnant, and three children, were killed when their boat capsized in the English Channel on Wednesday.

Those who want to get to the UK are willing to pay the smugglers thousands of pounds who can buy the ships for a very small fraction of their revenue.

It comes as furious Tories have warned Emmanuel Macron’s ‘petulence’ could cost the Channel lives after the French President lashes out at Boris Johnson and Priti Patel uninvited from a crisis summit .

Mr Macron delivered a furious rant after the prime minister sent him an open letter demanding action on migrant flows, calling Mr Johnson “not serious” at a press conference during a visit to Italy.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for the president said the prime minister’s “mediocre” proposals “do not correspond at all” to the discussions the leaders had on Wednesday.


Comments are closed.